Sunday, May 15, 2011

Even the rain is better in Italy

            Today was a very lazy day, which I think we all needed.  Most of us woke up mid-day to an overcast sky.  After my coffee and devotional, I went inside (perfect timing because it immediately started to pour) and began to work on my writing assignments for class tomorrow.  As you may know, one of the classes I’m taking here is poetry, ekphrastic poetry to be more precise- the art of description.  I have never taken a poetry class before.  I’ve read poems here and there throughout my English classes, but I’ve never had to write and share my original work.  Come to think of it, I don’t really have any original poems.  I’m more of a story/analytical writer.  The thought of reading something abstract I wrote in front of everybody- something we have to do every class- kind of freaks me out, so I figured I would post a poem here to get it out there but in a setting where I can’t see if anyone is laughing at me. The prompt for this poem was: Write a beautiful thing you’ve seen as “ugly” or an ugly thing you’ve seen as “beautiful.” Here it is!

Fresco
Broken,
Cracked and faded.
Cold,
Rough and crumbling.
Weathered,
Lost and forgotten.
Perfection and completeness, stolen by time,
Yet somehow reveals unseen virtue.
Endurance,
Strength and persistence.
Honor,
Respect and jubilation.
Purity,
Faith and holiness.
Beauty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment